Diet, Nutrition & Prevention
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
This is a 12-week, small-group program designed for adult cancer survivors who have become chronically fatigued or de-conditioned from treatment and disease. The program is offered without cost to the participants. For more information, contact your local Y branch.
- FREE 12-week YMCA Family Membership
- Two 75-minute classes per week
- Full access to the YMCA seven days per week
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve functional ability to do everyday tasks
- Personally commit to attending all classes
- Inform their physician of their plan to join the program
- Give permission for YMCA staff to call physician or person giving treatment when necessary
- Complete our screening forms and health questionnaire
- This class is recommended for individuals who have finished their cancer treatment recently or are survivors looking to regain health and improve quality of life.
This 12-month program helps overweight adults at risk for type 2 diabetes reduce their risk of developing the disease by taking steps to improve overall health and well-being. Participants work together in a small group facilitated by a trained Y lifestyle coach to achieve the program goals of reducing individual weight by 7 percent and building up to 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week for the purpose of reducing their risk for developing diabetes.
To find out more about the program visit ymca.net/diabetes-prevention/
Available in packages of 1, 3, 6, or 8, 45-minute one-on-one sessions, our personal, private nutrition counseling takes a non-diet approach based on the individual’s lifestyle, health, and personal wellness goals. Sessions are offered at our New Bedford, Fall River, Gleason (Wareham), Stoico/FIRSTFED (Swansea), and Dartmouth branches.
Way to Grow
Way to Grow is a youth wellness program for kids and their families. Come meet new friends while learning about healthy eating, making delicious foods and moving in fun ways. Trying to introduce your child to new foods? Attend a fruit and veggie tasting class. Does your child like to cook? Come to a Recipe Scavenger hunt, where kids collect ingredients to make a healthy recipe. Looking for more exciting ways to get your family moving? Join a high energy Zumba class!